Maritime communities of the ancient Andes /
The main purpose of this book is to evaluate the "state of the art" of the research on ancient maritime communities along the South American Pacific coastline. Using multidisciplinary approaches, this volume spans the earliest occupation in South America to the early years of the Spanish o...
|Other Authors:||, ,|
Gainesville, FL :
University Press of Florida,
|Series:||Society and ecology in island and coastal archaeology.
- 1. Introduction: A historical perspective on the studies of Andean maritime communities / Gabriel Prieto and Daniel H. Sandweiss
- Part I. Early maritime adaptations (13,000 to 5500 BP). 2. Maritime communities in the Atacama Desert : masters of the subtropical Pacific coast of South America / Calogero M. Santoro, Victoria Castro, Christopher Carter, and Daniela Valenzuela ; 3. Economic organization and social dynamics of Middle-Holocene hunter-gatherer-fisher communities on the coast of the Atacama Desert (Taltal, northern Chile) / Diego Salazar, Carola Flores, César Borie, Laura Olguín, Sandra Rebolledo, Manuel Escobar, and Ariadna Cifuentes ; 4. The use and construction history of Huaca Prieta, north coast of Peru / Tom D. Dillehay
- Part II. Maritime communities between 5500 and 2500 BP. 5. Changing complexity in the Norte Chico, 3000-1800 cal BCE / Winifred Creamer and Jonathan Haas ; 6. Maritime communities and coastal Andean urbanization : preliminary insights from early Horizon Samanco, Nepeña Valley, north-central Peru / Matthew Helmer ; 7. The supply and consumption of marine resources at the inland center of Caylán, coastal Ancash / David Chicoine, Carol Rojas, Victor Vásquez, and Teresa Rosales ; 8. The fisherman's garden : horticultural practices in a second millennium maritime community of the north coast of Peru / Gabriel Prieto ; 9. The ethnogenesis of Pescador identity : the implications of biodistance analyses of initial period (1500-1200 BC) human remains from Gramalote Peru, for our understanding of the social and economic dyamics of ancient Andean maritime communities / Richard C. Sutter and Gabriel Prieto
- Part III. Maritime communities between 2500 and 600 BP. 10. Fisherman, farmer, rich man, poor man, weaver, parcialidad chief? : household archaeology at Cerro la Virgen, a Chimú town within the hinterland of Chan Chan / Brian R. Billman, Dana Bardolph, Jean Hudson, and Jesús Briceño Rosario ; 11. Subsistence economies in margin areas with natural constraints : interactions between social dynamics, natural resource management and paleoenvironment in the Sechura Desert, Peru / Nicolas Goepfert, Philippe Béarez, Aurélien Christol, Patrice Wuscher, and Belkys Gutiérrez ; 12. Late prehistoric maritime communities in coastal Ecuador / Karen E. Stothert, Maria Masucci, and Benjamin Carter
- Part IV. Maritime communities between 600 and 300 BP. 13. Maritime adaptations at Cerro Azul, Peru : a comparison of late Intermediate and twentieth-century fishing / Joyce Marcus, Kent V. Flannery, Jeffrey Sommer, and Robert G. Reynolds ; 14. El Contrato del Mar : maritime subsistence at Carrizales, Zaña Valley, Peru / Parker VanValkenburgh, Sarah Kennedy, Carol Rojas, and Gabriel Hassler ; 15. Fish[i]stories : seafolk of the northern Peruvian coast / Susan Elizabeth Ramírez.