Winthrop's Boston; portrait of a puritan town, 1630-1649
Published for the Institute of Early American History and Culture at Williamsburg, Va., by the University of North Carolina Press
|Series:||Book collections on Project MUSE.
Table of Contents:
- List of maps and illustrations
- 1. "A citty upon a hill"
- 2. Shawmut
- 3. The emergence of town government
- 4. "Places for husbandry"
- 5. Toward a New Jerusalem
- 6. Diversity and division
- 7. "Boston in New England"
- 8. The well ordering of the town
- 9. The city by the water
- 10. Epilogue
- 1. The intention to settle a single community
- 2. Were the emigrants of 1630 "non-separating Congregationalists"?
- Note on sources and methods.