Joking asides : the theory, analysis, and aesthetics of humor /
"Oring analyzes key contemporary approaches to the study of humor and addresses controversial topics with new empirical data and insight. He tests appropriate incongruity against other major positions in the field, including Semantic Script Theory, the General Theory of Verbal Humor, Conceptual...
Utah State University Press,
Table of Contents:
- What Freud actually said about jokes
- Parsing the joke : the general theory of verbal humor and appropriate incongruity
- Blending and humor
- On benign violations
- Humor and the discovery of false beliefs
- Framing Borat
- Risky business : political jokes under repressive regimes
- Listing towards lists : jokes on the Internet
- What is a narrative joke?
- Demythologizing the Jewish joke
- The ridiculous to the sublime : joke and art
- Contested performance and joke aesthetics.