Screening nostalgia : populuxe props and technicolor aesthetics in contemporary American film /
In this fascinating in-depth study of the impact of nostalgia on contemporary American cinema, Christine Sprengler unpicks the history of the concept and explores its significance in theory and practice. She offers a lucid analysis of the development of nostalgia in American society and culture, nav...
New York :
Table of Contents:
- Setting the stage: the history of nostalgia
- The fifties: nostalgia's privileged object and the origins of its dominant American strain
- The nostalgia film in practice and theory
- Sin city: reading the tails of a populuxe prop
- Far from heaven: creative agency, social history and the expressive potential of costume
- The aviator: deliberate archaism, technicolor aesthetics and style as substance
- Conclusion: The good German and the good of nostalgia.