"I won't stay Indian, I'll keep studying" : race, place, and discrimination in a Costa Rican high school /
"While teaching and researching on an indigenous reservation in Costa Rica, Karen Stocker discovered that for Native students who attended the predominantly racist high school outside the reservation, academic success and ethnic identity were inexorably intertwined in complex ways. At two extre...
Boulder, Colo. :
University Press of Colorado,
- Introduction: "Mi delito es ser de aquí": racism and placism in Costa Rican education
- The husband's anthropologist: positionality of an unwitting and unwilling double agent
- The founding father: an ethnographic portrait of Santa Rita
- Ni chicha ni limonada: identity politics in and about the reservation
- "Aquí son cuatro o cinco que valen la pena": mechanisms of boundary maintenance
- "Nada más de estar usando la lógica": curriculum and teaching methods in SRHS
- "A qué me va a servir esto en la bananera?": teaching identity and its consequences in the post-high school realm
- "Para no dar a torcer el brazo": strategies of student resistance
- "Cuesta escribir algo de que nadie puede decir nada": conclusions, applications, implications, and the ethical dilemmas of applied anthropology.