Financial Sustainability for Nonprofit Organizations.
Nonprofit organizations face fierce competition for funding, especially during times of financial crisis. In order to effectively further their goals and make a long-term impact in the communities they serve, these organizations must remain financially viable and sustainable. This book equips studen...
New York :
Springer Publishing Company,
- Cover; Title Page; Copyright Page; Contents; Preface; Acknowledgments; Share Financial Sustainability for Nonprofit Organizations; Part I: Conceptual Framework; 1. The Nonprofit Organization Universe; Objectives; About the Term "Nonprofit Organization"; Nonprofit and For-Profit Corporations; Nonprofit Corporation as Nonprofit Organization; Nonprofit Organization as Organization; Scope of the Nonprofit Sector in the United States; Types of Nonprofit Organizations in the United States; Starting a Nonprofit Organization; Conclusion; Questions and Activities; References.
- 2. Financial SustainabilityObjectives; About Sustainability; Sustainable Business; Factors Affecting Financial Sustainability; Financial Management; Budget; Financial Statement Analysis; Financial Sustainability Plan; Social Enterprise; Fund-Raising; Grant Seeking; Investment; Risk Management; Collateral Factors; Environmental Factors; Indicators of Financial Sustainability; Financial Sustainability Implications in the Real Life of a Nonprofit Organization; Questions and Activities; References; Part II: Organization and Planning; 3. Governance and Financial Sustainability; Objectives.
- What is Governance?Corporate Governance; Governance Theories; Nonprofit Governance; Nonprofit Governance and Bylaws; Principles of Nonprofit Governance; Governance and Board of Directors; Why are Boards Important?; Nonprofit Governance: An Eclectic Perspective; Governance Structures; Governance in Nonprofit Organizations and the "Funder Syndrome"; Nonprofit Board Policies; The Committees; Governance and Financial Sustainability; Questions and Activities; References; 4. Needs Assessment and Financial Sustainability; Objectives; What is a Community?; Individual and Community; What is a Need?
- What is a Needs Assessment?Needs Assessment: An Overview of the Process; Why is a Needs Assessment Necessary?; Needs Assessment and Financial Sustainability; Questions and Activities; References; 5. Asset Mapping and Financial Sustainability; Objectives; Asset-Based Model; Asset Mapping; Types of Assets; Asset-Mapping Process; Community Asset Mapping and Financial Sustainability; Community Asset Mapping for Financial Sustainability; Questions and Activities; References; 6. Strategic Planning and Financial Sustainability; Objectives; What is Strategic Planning?
- Importance of Strategic PlanningStrategic-Planning Approaches and Processes; The Strategic-Planning Process; SWOT Analysis; Organizational Mandates; Define or Revise Mission, Vision, and Statements; Strategic Priorities and Choices; Setting Strategic Goals and Objectives; Strategic Planning and Strategic Management; Strategic Planning and Financial Sustainability; Questions and Activities; Reference; Part III: Financial Sustainability; 7. Budget and Financial Sustainability; Objectives; What is a Budget?; Why a Budget?; Types of Budgets; Capital Budget; Prerequisites to Developing a Budget.