Confronting Hitler : German Social Democrats in defense of the Weimar Republic, 1929-1933 /
"The stories of the individual men and women who led German Social Democracy's failed efforts to fend off the Nazi onslaught in 1933 have largely been lost in the wake of the cataclysmic war, the Holocaust, and the division of Europe that followed Hitler's victory. Confronting Hitler...
Lanham, Md. :
- Weimar and the Social Democratic Challenge
- Siegfried Aufhäuser (1884-1969): "Freedom will always triumph"
- Rudolf Breitscheid (1874-1944): "Readiness is everything!"
- Rudolf Hilferding (1877-1941): Against the Right and the Left
- Marie Juchacz (1879-1965): Mobilizing Women
- Carlo Mierendorff (1897-1943): "Democracy and Socialism were our polestars"
- Antonie Pfülf (1977-1933): "A socialist in deed"
- Toni Sender (1888-1964): German Rebel
- Carl Severing (1875-1952): "I will yield only to violence"
- Friedrich Stampfer (1874-1957): Reaching out to the Communists
- Otto Wels (1873-1930): Defending Socialism's Honor
- Conclusion: Reconsidering the German Catastrophe of 1933.