Capitalism and desire : the psychic cost of free markets /
"Why is capitalism so resilient? Despite creating vast inequalities and propping up reactionary world regimes, capitalism has many passionate defenders. But Todd McGowan argues that capitalism does not thrive because of what it withholds from some and gives to others with power. Capitalism domi...
New York :
Columbia University Press,
- Introduction: after injustice and repression
- The subject of desire and the subject of capitalism
- The psychic constitution of private space
- Shielding our eyes from the gaze
- The persistence of sacrifice after its obsolescence
- A God we can believe in
- A more tolerable infinity
- The ends of capitalism
- Exchanging love for romance
- Abundance and scarcity
- The market's fetishistic sublime
- Conclusion: enjoy, don't accumulate.