Secrets of nature : astrology and alchemy in early modern Europe /
In recent years scholars have begun to acknowledge that the occult sciences were not marginal enterprises but an integral part of the worldview of many of our ancestors. Astrology was one of the many intellectual tools--along with what we consider to be the superior tools of social and political ana...
Cambridge, Mass. :
|Series:||Transformations (M.I.T. Press)
Table of Contents:
- Introduction: the problematic status of astrology and alchemy in premodern Europe / William R. Newman and Anthony Grafton
- "Veritatis amor dulcissimus": aspects of Cardano's astrology / Germana Ernst
- Between the election and my hopes: Girolamo Cardano and medical astrology / Anthony Grafton and Nancy Siraisi
- Celestial offerings: astrological motifs in the dedicatory letters of Kepler's Astronomia nova and Galileo's Sidereus nuncios / H. Darrel Rutkin
- Astronomia inferior: legacies of Johanes Trithemius and John Dee / N.H. Clulee
- The Rosicrucian hoax in France (1623-24) / Didier Kahn
- "The food of angels": Simon Forman's alchemical medicine / Lauren Kassell
- Some problems with the historiography of alchemy / Lawrence M. Principe and William R. Newman.