Transforming free speech : the ambiguous legacy of civil libertarianism /
Contemporary civil libertarians claim that their works preserve a worthy American tradition of defending free-speech rights dating back to the framing of the First Amendment. Transforming Free Speech challenges the worthiness, and indeed the very existence of one uninterrupted libertarian tradition....
University of California Press,
Table of Contents:
- A Tradition and Its Consequences
- The Conservative Libertarian Defense of Free Speech
- Transformation Foreshadowed The Progressive Era
- Progressive Responses to Free Speech Conflict, 1915-1927
- Zechariah Chafee's Achievements
- The Triumph and Tragedy of Civil Libertarianism
- Toward a Somewhat New Constitutional Defense of Free Speech.