Democracy and the European Union : theory, practice and reform /
This book comprehensively reviews one of the most salient on-going debates at the heart of the EU today, democratic reform. It provides an evaluation of how democracy might best be defined in the transnational context of the EU and explores the key strategies that have been deployed to enhance the E...
London ; Thousand Oaks, Calif. :
- Machine generated contents note: Preface: Thoughts of a Critical European
- 1. Introductory Overview: The 'Democratic Deficit' and the Normative Turn in European Union Studies
- 2. Bringing Functionalism Back In: Critical Deliberativism, Liberal Democracy and the Democratic Deficit
- 3. Reconfiguring Sovereignty: Subsidiarity and Flexibility
- 4. Institutional Reform: The Paradoxical Case of the European Parliament
- 5. Increasing EU Scope and Powers: The Cases of Environment and Regional Policies
- 6. Demos Construction: The Arrested Development of European Citizenship
- 7. Conclusions: Towards Substantive Democracy in the European Union.