Communicating health and illness /
This accessible book provides a cogent review of the literature on discourse analysis as it pertains to medical and health matters. It demonstrates the centrality of discourse analysis to an understanding of health and communication. Introducing original research from his own studies, Richard Gwyn f...
- Cover; Contents; Acknowledgements; Key to Transcription Symbols; Introduction; Chapter 1
- The Body, Disease and Discourse; Chapter 2
- 'Lay' Talk about Health and Illness; Chapter 3
- Power, Asymmetry and Decision Making in Medical Encounters; Chapter 4
- The Media, Expert Opinion and Health Scares; Chapter 5
- Metaphors of Sickness and Recovery; Chapter 6
- Narrative and the Voicing of Illness; Conclusion; References; Index.