Infanticide by males and its implications /
"In this book, case studies and reviews confirm the adaptive nature of infanticide in males in primates and other animals, and help to predict which species should be vulnerable to it. Much of the book is devoted to exploring the evolutionary consequences of the threat of infanticide by males f...
Cambridge, UK ; New York :
Cambridge University Press,
- Foreword / Sarah B. Hrdy
- Infanticide by males: prospectus / Carel P. van Schaik and Charles H. Janson
- The holy wars about infanticide. Which side are you on? and why? / Volker Sommer
- Infanticide by male primates: the sexual selection hypothesis revisited / Carel P. van Schaik
- Vulnerability to infanticide by males: patterns among mammals / Carel P. van Schaik
- Infanticide in red howlers: female group size, male membership, and a possible link to folivory / Carolyn M. Crockett and Charles H. Janson
- Infanticide in hanuman langurs: social organization, male migration, and weaning age / Carola Borries and Andreas Koenig
- Male infanticide and defense of infants in chacma baboons / Ryne A. Palombit, Dorothy L. Cheney, Julia Fischer [and others]
- Infanticide by males and female choice in wild Thomas's langurs / Romy Steenbeek
- The evolution of infanticide in rodents: a comparative analysis / Daniel T. Blumstein
- Infanticide by male birds / José P. Veiga.
- Prevention of infanticide: the perspective of infant primates / Adrian Treves
- Infanticide and the evolution of male-female bonds in animals / Ryne A. Palombit
- The other side of the coin: infanticide and the evolution of affiliative male-infant interactions in Old World primates / Andreas Paul, Signe Preuschoft, and Carel P. van Schaik
- Female dispersal and infanticide avoidance in primates / Elisabeth H.M. Sterck and Amanda H. Korstjens
- Reproductive patterns in eutherian mammals: adaptations against infanticide? / Maria A. van Noordwijk and Carel P. van Schaik
- Paternity confusion and the ovarian cycles of female primates / Carel P. van Schaik, J. Keith Hodges, and Charles L. Nunn
- Social evolution in primates: the relative roles of ecology and intersexual conflict / Charles L. Nunn and Carel P. van Schaik
- Infanticide by female mammals: implications for the evolution of social systems / Leslie Digby
- "The hate that love generated"
- sexually selected neglect of one's own offspring in humans / Eckart Voland and Peter Stephan
- The behavioral ecology of infanticide by males / Charles H. Janson and Carel P. van Schaik.