Europe, The State & Globalisation.
Key concepts; Further reading; Film suggestion; Chapter 8 International Relations theory and the state; Introduction; The EU and 'new' regionalism; International Relations theory; Realism and neo-realism; Liberalism and institutional liberalism; International society; International Politic...
Taylor and Francis,
- Cover; Half Title; Title; Copyright; Dedication; Brief contents; Contents; Acknowledgements; Abbreviations and acronyms; Publisher's acknowledgements; Map of the book; Introduction; Chapter 1 Europe: the origins of nationalism and the state experience; Introduction; The impact of the French Revolution; The European state: towards the abyss; Recreating Europe: the emergence of European integration; Summary; Key concepts; Further reading; Film suggestions; Chapter 2 The state, sovereignty and nationalism; Introduction; The state and sovereignty; State sovereignty and international institutions.
- The meaning of nationalismThree types of nationalism: state, civic and ethnic; Promoting cultural identity and the problem of ethnic nationalism; The EU, nation building and citizenship; Summary; Key concepts; Further reading; Film suggestion; Chapter 3 Nationalism in contemporary Europe; Introduction; Identity and difference, real and imaginary; Nationalism in contemporary Europe: eight contexts; Integrating Europe and issues of state sovereignty; Defending sovereignty
- nationalism and euroscepticism; Summary; Key concepts; Further reading; Film suggestions.
- Chapter 4 The European Union and the stateIntroduction; Pooling sovereignty; The institutions of the EU; Policy making in the European Union; Summary; Key concepts; Further reading; Chapter 5 Integration theory and the state; Introduction; Destinations: federalism and confederalism; Theories of integration: functionalism, neo-functionalism and intergovernmentalism; Other theories of European integration; Conclusion; Summary; Key concepts; Further reading; Chapter 6 The EU and the regions: multilevel governance in an era of globalisation; Introduction.
- The practical significance of regional development policyFunding EU regional policies; Theoretical implications of regional development policy: multilevel governance; Comparison of the EU-region relationship in Spain and Germany; Summary; Key concepts; Further reading; Film suggestion; Chapter 7 EU enlargement and the challenge to the state; Introduction; History and process of EU enlargement; The rationale for enlargement; The implications of enlargement
- costs and benefits; Further enlargements
- how big can the Union get?; Balkan enlargement in 2007; The global context of enlargement.