Thelonious Monk Quartet with John Coltrane at Carnegie Hall /
Thelonious Monk Quartet with John Coltrane at Carnegie Hall is an historical, cultural, and analytical study of the album by the same name. Recorded in 1957, but lost until 2005, it is a particularly interesting lens through which to view jazz both as a historical tradition and as a contemporary cul...
New York :
Oxford University Press,
|Series:||Oxford studies in recorded jazz.
Table of Contents:
- Monk with Coltrane
- The Morningside Community Center benefit and the jazz concert as an institution to 1957
- "Monk's mood" and "Crepuscule with Nellie"
- "Evidence" and "nutty"
- "Bye-ya" and "Sweet and lovely"
- "Blue monk" and "epistrophy"
- The recording in its time.