Megacity slums : social exclusion, space and urban policies in Brazil and India /
This book looks at slums and social exclusion in the four major megacities of India and Brazil, and analyzes the interrelationships between urban policies and housing and environmental issues. In Delhi, Mumbai, Rio de Janeiro and São Paulo, the challenges they pose have spurred public actors into ac...
London : Singapore :
Imperial College Press ; Distributed by World Scientific Pub. Co.,
|Series:||Urban challenges ;
v. 1. |
Urban policy > India > Delhi.
Urban policy > India > Mumbai.
Slums > Brazil > São Paulo.
Table of Contents:
- Ch. 1. Introduction: social exclusion, space and urban policies in Brazil and India / Frédéric Landy and Marie-Caroline Saglio-Yatzimirsky
- ch. 2. National and urban contexts of the four metropolises / Hervé Théry [and others]
- ch. 3. The Right of the city or the right to the city? / Rafael Soares Gonçalves ; boxes: Claudia Franco and Frédéric Landy
- ch. 4. Public policies and the "treatment" of slums / Véronique Dupont and Marie-Caroline Saglio-Yatzimirsky; box: Fatima Cabral Marques Gomes and Lenise Lima Fernandes
- ch. 5. Public policies, environment and social exclusion / Neli de Mello-Théry [and others] ; boxes: Véronique Dupont [and others]
- ch. 6. Local and translocal systems of actors / Frédéric Landy and Nicolas Bautès
- ch. 7. Slum demolition: impact on the affected families, and coping strategies / Véronique Dupont and Damien Vaquier ; boxes: Véronique Dupont [and others]
- ch. 8. Acting from the slums: questioning social movement and resistance / Nicolas Bautès, Véronique Dupont and Frédéric Landy
- ch. 9. Conclusion: spatial justice, exclusion and urban policies in Brazil and India / Frédéric Landy and Marie-Caroline Saglio-Yatzimirsky.