Exploring the mandatory life sentence for murder /
Murder is often regarded as both the 'ultimate' and a unique crime, and whereas courts are normally given discretion in sentencing offenders, for murder the sentence is mandatory - indeterminate imprisonment. Since the crime and the punishment come as a 'package deal' this book l...
Hart Publishing Limited,
- Defining murder and other forms of criminal homicide
- Origins of the mandatory life sentence for murder
- The mandatory life sentence for murder : the status quo
- Making the case for and against the mandatory life sentence
- Public knowledge of trends in crime and punishment
- Public attitudes to sentencing in cases of murder
- Exploring the relationship between information and attitudes to sentencing
- Reforming the sentence for murder : the way forward
- Appendix A: Comparative approaches to the definition and sentencing of murder
- Appendix B: Comparison of schedule 21 with practice direction
- Appendix C: Survey instrument.