The European roots of Canadian identity /
"What makes Canada a different kind of society from the United States? In this book-length essay, Philip Resnick argues that, in more ways than one, Canada has been profoundly marked by its European origins. This is most apparent where the European historical underpinnings both of English-speak...
Peterborough, Ont. ; Orchard Park, N.Y. :
|Series:||Online access with purchase: EBSCO (Unlimited multiple access)
Table of Contents:
- The Canadian enigma
- Particularistic vs. universalistic identities
- As Canadian as possible under the circumstances
- Multinational realities and ambiguous identities
- The Canadian social contract
- Is multiculturalism enough?
- Canada and the Pax Americana
- Americanness vs. Europeanness
- The cultural imperative
- The metaphysics of Canadian identity.