Resolving controversy in the European Union : legislative decision-making before and after enlargement /
How does the EU resolve controversy when making laws that affect citizens? How has the EU been affected by the recent enlargements that brought its membership to a diverse group of twenty-seven countries? This book answers these questions with analyses of the EU's legislative system that includ...
Cambridge University Press,
- 1. Introducing the political system of the European Union
- 2. Research design: measuring controversy spatially
- Part I. Inputs: 3. The European Union's political space; 4. The European Commission's policy positions; 5. The European Parliament's policy positions; 6. Member states' policy positions
- Part II. Processes: 7. Transforming policy positions into decision outcomes; 8. The relative power of the institutions; 9. The relative power of the member states
- Part III. Outputs: 10. Decision outcomes; 11. Delegation; 12. Evaluating and improving the European Union
- Appendix: the selection of legislative proposals.