Infanticide by males and its implications /
Male primates, carnivores and rodents sometimes kill infants that they did not sire. Infanticide by males is a relatively common phenomenon in these groups, but tends to be rare in any given species. Is this behavior pathological or accidental, or does it reflect a conditional reproductive strategy...
Cambridge University Press,
- Foreword / Sarah B. Hrdy
- Infanticide by males: prospectus / Carel P. van Schaik and Charles H. Janson
- The holy wars about infanticide. Which side are you on? and why? / Volker Sommer
- Infanticide by male primates: the sexual selection hypothesis revisited / Carel P. van Schaik
- Vulnerability to infanticide by males: patterns among mammals / Carel P. van Schaik
- Infanticide in red howlers: female group size, male membership, and a possible link to folivory / Carolyn M. Crockett and Charles H. Janson
- Infanticide in hanuman langurs: social organization, male migration, and weaning age / Carola Borries and Andreas Koenig
- Male infanticide and defense of infants in chacma baboons / Ryne A. Palombit, Dorothy L. Cheney, Julia Fischer [and others]
- Infanticide by males and female choice in wild Thomas's langurs / Romy Steenbeek
- The evolution of infanticide in rodents: a comparative analysis / Daniel T. Blumstein
- Infanticide by male birds / José P. Veiga.
- Prevention of infanticide: the perspective of infant primates / Adrian Treves
- Infanticide and the evolution of male-female bonds in animals / Ryne A. Palombit
- The other side of the coin: infanticide and the evolution of affiliative male-infant interactions in Old World primates / Andreas Paul, Signe Preuschoft, and Carel P. van Schaik
- Female dispersal and infanticide avoidance in primates / Elisabeth H.M. Sterck and Amanda H. Korstjens
- Reproductive patterns in eutherian mammals: adaptations against infanticide? / Maria A. van Noordwijk and Carel P. van Schaik
- Paternity confusion and the ovarian cycles of female primates / Carel P. van Schaik, J. Keith Hodges, and Charles L. Nunn
- Social evolution in primates: the relative roles of ecology and intersexual conflict / Charles L. Nunn and Carel P. van Schaik
- Infanticide by female mammals: implications for the evolution of social systems / Leslie Digby
- "The hate that love generated"
- sexually selected neglect of one's own offspring in humans / Eckart Voland and Peter Stephan
- The behavioral ecology of infanticide by males / Charles H. Janson and Carel P. van Schaik.