Political philosophy in the twentieth century : authors and arguments /
This book demonstrates the rich diversity and depth of political philosophy in the twentieth century. Catherine H. Zuckert has compiled a collection of essays recounting the lives of political theorists, connecting each biography with the theorist's life work and explaining the significance of...
Cambridge University Press,
- John Dewey : philosophy as theory of education / David Fott
- Carl Schmitt : political theology and the concept of the political / Tracy B. Strong
- Antonio Gramsci : liberation begins with critical thinking / Joseph Buttigieg
- Philosophy as a way of life : the case of Leo Strauss / Steven B. Smith
- The philosopher's vocation : the Voegelinian paradigm / Ellis Sandoz
- Yves R. Simon : a philosopher's quest for science and prudence / Walter Nicgorski
- Hannah Arendt : from philosophy to politics / Dana R. Villa
- Friedrich Hayek on the nature of social order and law / Eric Mack
- Michael Oakeshott : the philosophical skeptic in an impatient age / Timothy Fuller
- Moral pluralism and liberal democracy : Isaiah Berlin's heterodox liberalism / William Galston
- H.L.A. Hart : a twentieth-century Oxford political philosopher / John M. Finnis
- John Rawls and the task of political philosophy / Paul Weithman
- Richard Rorty : liberalism, irony, and social hope / Michael Bacon
- Jean-Paul Sartre : "in the soup" / William Leon McBride
- Michel Foucault : an ethical politics of care of self and others / Alan Milchman and Alan Rosenberg
- Jürgen Habermas : postwar German political debates and the making of a critical theorist / William E. Scheuerman
- Alasdair MacIntyre on political thinking and the tasks of politics / Arthur Madigan, S.J.
- Another philosopher-citizen : the political philosophy of Charles Taylor / Ruth Abbey.