The American historical romance /
This book traces the tradition of American historical fiction from its origins in the early nineteenth century to the eve of World War II. It examines the historical novel's connections with Enlightenment and Romantic theories of history; with the rise of literary regionalism; with the ambitio...
Cambridge University Press,
|Series:||Cambridge studies in American literature and culture ;
Table of Contents:
- The American historical romance: a prospectus
- The Waverley-model and the rise of historical romance
- Historical romance and the stadialist model of progress
- The regionalism of historical romance
- Hawthorne and the ironies of New England history
- Melville: the red comets return
- The hero and heroine of historical romance
- The historical romance of the South
- Retrospect: departures and returns.