The preconditions of socialism /
This 1993 book was the first complete new translation of Bernstein's famous and influential work. It will provide students with an accurate and unabridged edition of the classic defence of democratic socialism and the first significant critique of revolutionary Marxism from within the socialist...
Cambridge University Press,
|Series:||Cambridge texts in the history of political thought.
- Principal events in Bernstein's life
- 1. The basic tenets of Marxist socialism. (a). The scientific elements of Marxism. (b). The materialist conception of history and historical necessity. (c). The Marxist doctrine of class conflict and the development of capital
- 2. Marxism and the Hegelian dialectic. (a). The pitfalls of the Hegelian dialectical method. (b). Marxism and Blanquism
- 3. The economic development of modern society. (a). Remarks on the meaning of Marx's theory of value. (b). The distribution of income in modern society. (c). Occupational classes in the production and distribution of social wealth. (d). Crises and the ability of the modern economy to adapt
- 4. The tasks and opportunities of Social Democracy. (a). The political and economic prerequisites of socialism. (b). The effectiveness of economic cooperatives. (c). Democracy and socialism. (d). The most immediate tasks of Social Democracy.