Fed-batch cultures : principles and applications of semi-batch bioreactors /
Many, if not most, industrially important fermentation and bioreactor operations are carried out in fed-batch mode, producing a wide variety of products. In spite of this, there is no single book that deals with fed-batch operations. This is the first book that presents all the necessary background...
Cambridge University Press,
|Series:||Cambridge series in chemical engineering.
Table of Contents:
- Introduction to fed-batch bioreactors
- Idealised reactors and fed-batch reactors
- Maximisation of reaction rates and fed-batch operation
- Phenomena that favour fed-batch operations
- Classification and characteristics of fed-batch cultures
- Models based on mass balance equations
- Non-equation-based models
- Experimental determination of specific rates
- Optimization via Pontryagin's maximum principle
- Computational techniques
- Optimization of single and multiple isothermal reactions
- Optimization of fed-batch cultures for cell mass production
- Optimization of fed-batch cultures for metabolites
- Simple, intuitive adaptive optimization
- Measurements, estimation and control
- Feasibility assessment and implementable feed rates.