Art and risk in ancient Yoruba : IFE history, power, and identity, c. 1300 /
In this book, Suzanne Preston Blier examines the intersection of art, risk and creativity in early African arts from the Yoruba center of Ife and the striking ways that ancient Ife artworks inform society, politics, history and religion. Yoruba art offers a unique lens into one of Africa's most...
Cambridge University Press,
- Introduction: art, risk, and creativity. Art, risk, and identity. Art making : artists, subjects, technologies and media
- Experiencing art : sight, site, and perspectives of viewing
- If looks could kill : aesthetics and political expression
- Embedding identity : marking the Ife body. Politics, representation, and regalia. A gallery of portrait heads : political art
- Animal avatars : art, identity and the natural world
- Crowning glory : the art and politics of headgear
- Battling with symbols : scepters, staffs, and seats.