Pop culture and the dark side of the American dream : con men, gangsters, drug lords, and zombies /
What is the American dream, and why has it proven so elusive for many people? By examining popular culture's portrayal of the dark side of the American dream, this text seeks to answer these questions.
Lexington, Kentucky :
University Press of Kentucky,
Table of Contents:
- Aristocracy in America: Huckleberry Finn and the democratic art of imposture
- The talented Mr. Dukenfield: W.C. Fields and the American dream
- "I believe in America": the Godfather films and the immigrant's tragedy
- The Macbeth of meth: Breaking bad and the tragedy of Walter White
- The apocalyptic strain in popular culture: the American nightmare becomes the American dream.