Swing, that modern sound
It was for stage bands, for dancing, and for a jiving mood of letting go. Throughout the nation swing re-sounded with the spirit of good times. But this pop genre, for a decade America's favorite, arose during the worst of times, the Great Depression. From its peak in the 1930s until bebop, r &...
University Press of Mississippi,
- The swing generation: what is swing and how is it the music of its era?
- Machine-age music: the connection of swing to modernity
- Swinging the marketplace: advertising and selling swing
- The American swing dream: the role and influence of class in swing
- The swing stew: ethnicity, race, and gender within swing
- Swing's low: the decline of swing.