Fabriano : city of Medieval and Renaissance papermaking /
"Explores how the Arab art of papermaking by hand came to the Italian peninsula in the thirteenth century and why Fabriano was well-positioned to develop as the heart of this artisan craft, first in Italy and subsequently for a larger Mediterranean territory. Details of the technical advancemen...
New Castle, Delaware : Washington, D.C. :
Oak Knoll Press ; Library of Congress,
- An ancient past: Fabriano and Marche
- How papermaking came to Italy
- Improvement and innovation
- Cultural and iconographic origins of the watermark
- Medieval papermaking workshops
- Early paper formats
- Manuscripts, merchants, and printers
- An industry in turmoil
- Rejuvenation: the Pietro Miliani era.
- APPENDICES. White wonder: the chemical and physical characteristics of early Fabriano paper
- Determination of metal content in Fabriano paper used in early Italian printed books
- Catalog: Selected Fabriano paper in Special Collections of the Library of Congress
- Glossary of Italian terms related to papermaking.