Hitler--films from Germany : history, cinema and politics since 1945 /
"The first book-length study to critically examine the recent wave of Hitler biopics in German cinema and television. A group of international experts discuss films like Downfall in the context of earlier portrayals of Hitler and draw out their implications for the changing place of the Third R...
Houndmills, Basingstoke, Hampshire ; New York :
|Series:||Holocaust and its contexts.
- Introduction / Karolin Machtans and Martin A. Ruehl
- 1. The Führer's Fake: Presence of an Afterlife / Eric Rentschler
- 2. "Hitler's shadow still looms over us": G.W. Pabst's The Last Ten Days as Film and Event / Michael Töteberg
- 3. Our Hitler: A Film by Hans Jürgen Syberberg / Thomas Elsaesser
- 4. Entombing the Nazi Past: On Downfall and Historicism / Sabine Hake
- 5. Tragedy and Farce: Dani Levy's Mein Führer / Michael D. Richardson
- 6. Man, Demon, Icon: The Cinematic Hitler's Image Between Cinematic Representation and Historical Reality / Michael Elm
- 7. Hitler Wars: Guilt and Complicity From Hirschbiegel to Harald Schmidt / Michael Butter
- 8. Hitler Nonfictional: On Didacticism and Exploitation in Recent Documentary Films / Kerstin Stutterheim
- 9. Encountering Hitler: Seductive Charisma and Memory Spaces in Heinrich Breloer's Speer & Hitler / Alex Bangert
- 10. Far Away So Close: Loving to Hate Hitler / Johannes von Moltke.