Irving Berlin's American musical theater /
From patriotic "God Bless America" to wistful "White Christmas," Irving Berlin's songs have long accompanied Americans as they fall in love, go to war, and come home for the holidays. Irving Berlin's American Musical Theater is the first book to fully consider this song...
New York :
Oxford University Press,
- Introduction : Irving Berlin's century
- Irving Berlin's theater
- Legitimate vaudeville : the Dillingham shows, 1914-15
- Berlin's follies, 1918-19
- "America's greatest show" : the Music box revues, 1921-24
- "An ideal combination" : Berlin, Kaufman, and Co., 1920s-30s
- Musical theater of war : This is the army, 1942-45
- Something for the girls : Annie get your gun, 1945-present
- State of the Union : Berlin, Lindsay and Crouse, 1950-62
- Conclusion : "This is America."