Virginia and state rights, 1750-1861 : the genesis and promotion of a doctrine /
"Part One looks at contributing factors motivating Virginia's ideological attitudes toward state rights. Part Two examines the methodologies employed by concerned Virginians to maintain the currency of state rights in the face of nationalist threats to a southern interpretation of liberty...
Jefferson, N.C. :
McFarland & Co.,
- Revolutionary Era factors influencing Virginia's gravitation toward state rights
- The people's preratification estimate of the Consitituion
- The Virginia Ratification Convention : issues connected to government
- The Virginia Ratification Convention : constitutional powers and rights
- Government on trial : national policies and the state rights reaction
- The principles of '98
- Laying the groundwork: congressional power and slavery
- The nature of the Union : John Marshall vs. Spencer Roane
- Andrew Jackson, nullification, and the nature of the Union
- The culmination of the state rights doctrines.