More rootabagas /
A selection of Sandburg's fanciful, humorous short stories peopled with such characters as the Potato Face Blind Man, Susan Slackentwist, and Dippy the Wisp.
New York :
Knopf : Distributed by Random House,
- A girl named Silver Pitchers tells a story about Egypt, Jesse James and Spanish onions
- The story of Peter Potato Blossom Wishes and how she went down into Rootabaga County and came back with five sky blue whispering cats
- How the caterpillar told stories to a spink bug and a huck
- How Susan Slackentwist sang a song to a cornfield scarecrow
- The story of how dippy the wisp and ax me no questions learned about the village of pick ups
- The story of burnt chestnuts, fish stars with fire tails and two prairie girls, the beans are burning and sweeter than the bees humming
- How they are good to the green hat-eating horses
- The hat dancers who came the year summer never came
- The palace of pickles and the mud slingers with buckets of mud
- How the fairies went away...and who took their places.