Table of Contents:
- An overview: Brogan, D. W. The character of American life
- Conceptions of American history: Pole, J. R. The American past, is it still usable? Campbell, A. E. The American past as destiny
- The Anglo-American connection: Allen, H. C. The cultural tie. Nicholas, H. G. The wartime alliance and after
- Components of American history: Potter, J. Some British reflections on Turner and the frontier. White, J. The novelist as historian. Brock, W. R. The nature of the Reconstruction crisis. Thompson, J. A. American progressive publicists and the first World War, 1914-1917
- American Profiles: Wright, E. Lincoln before his election. Nunnerley, D. JFK
- Anglo-American comparative analysis: Campbell, A. E. The nature of the Anglo-American rapprochement. Bagwell, P. S. and Mingay, G. E. Britain and America, social progress, 1850-1939.