Pro SQL Server on Microsoft Azure /
Learn the basics of Microsoft Azure and see how SQL Server on Azure VMs (Infrastructure-as-a-Service) and Azure SQL Databases (Platform-as-a-Service) work. This concise book shows you how to deploy, operate, and maintain your data using any one or a combination of these offerings along with your on-...
|Main Authors:||, ,|
New York :
Table of Contents:
- At a Glance; Contents; About the Authors; About the Technical Reviewer; Acknowledgments; Chapter 1: Introduction to Microsoft Azure; Cloud Computing Overview; Characteristics of Cloud Computing; Service Models; Platform as a Service; Infrastructure as a Service; Software as a Service; Microsoft Azure; Azure Services; Compute Offerings; Virtual Machines; Azure WebApps (Formerly Azure Websites); Cloud Services; Data Management Offerings; SQL/Oracle Running on Azure VM; Azure SQL Database; Azure Blobs; Azure Table Storage; Networking; Virtual Network; VPN Connection Options.
- Point-to-Site VPN ConnectionSite-to-Site VPN Connection; ExpressRoute Connection; Developer Services; Visual Studio Team Services; Application Insights; Identity and Access; Active Directory; Backup; Azure Site Recovery; Summary; Chapter 2: Azure Architecture; The Azure Services; The Compute; The Storage; The Network; How It Works Together; Update/Upgrade Domain; Fault Domain; Deployment; Classic Deployment Model; Resource Manager Deployment Model; Deployment Automation; Summary; Chapter 3: Microsoft Azure Storage; Azure Storage Service; Blob Storage; Table Storage; Queue Storage.
- File StorageDesign Decisions; Azure Storage Architecture Internals; Replication Engine; Layers Within a Storage Stamp; Maintaining Availability/Consistency for Read Requests; Load Balancing of Partition Layer; Load Balancing of the DFS Layer; Load Balancing of DFS Capacity; Durability Offerings with Azure Storage; Azure Premium Storage; Creating an Azure VM Machine Using Premium Storage and PowerShell; Inside Premium Storage; Azure Storage Best Practices; Performance Enhancement Using Blobs; Copy/Move Blobs; AzCopy; Choosing the Right Kind of Blob; Performance Enhancement Using Tables.
- Querying Data Best PracticesSummary; Chapter 4: Microsoft Azure Networking; Networking Primer; Site-to-Site Connections; Point-to-Site Connections; ExpressRoute; Azure AD Connect; Traffic Manager; Virtual Private Network; Load Balancer; Azure DNS; Summary; Additional References; Chapter 5: Deploying SQL Server on Azure VMs; Deploying a Standalone SQL Server Instance; Configuration Settings; Virtual Machine Region; Virtual Machine Hardware; SQL Server Settings; Automating the Automation; Post Deployment; Azure Resource Explorer; Azure CLI; Summary; Chapter 6: SQL Hybrid Solutions.
- Hybrid Model SnapshotBackups to Azure Storage; SQL Server Files in Microsoft Azure Storage; Smart Backup; AlwaysOn Configuration on Azure VMs; Summary; Additional References; Chapter 7: All About Performance; Understanding the Virtual Machine Performance; Compute; Network; Storage; Data Disks; Storage Spaces; Tempdb; Database Settings; Service Account Privileges; Backups; Data Files on Azure Blobs; Monitoring; Operational Insights; Cheat Sheet; Summary; Chapter 8: Azure SQL Database; SQL Database Architecture; The Tenant Ring; The Control Ring; Control Management Node; Management Service Node.