Decoding the new consumer mind : how and why we shop and buy /
A decade of swift and stunning change has profoundly affected the psychology of how, when, and why we shop and buy. In "Decoding the New Consumer Mind"," " award-winning consumer psychologist Kit Yarrow shares surprising insights about the new motivations and behaviors of shopper...
San Francisco, CA :
Jossey-Bass, A Wiley Brand,
Table of Contents:
- Decoding the New Consumer Mind: How and Why We Shop and Buy; Copyright; Contents; Foreword; Introduction; The New American Consumer; Three Cultural Shifts and Four Marketing Strategies to Meet Them; Part 1: The New Consumer Mind; Chapter 1: Rewired Brains; Technology and Consumer Behavior; Five Psychological Shifts; Innovation Optimism; Consumer Empowerment; Faster Ways of Thinking; Symbol Power; New Ways of Connecting; Chapter 2: Isolation and Individualism; Technology; Surface Appeal; Hello? Hello?; The Fame Game; Living in the Moment vs. Posting the Moment; Emotional Isolation.
- Trust and Self-RelianceCommunity Through Commonalities; RUDE!; Self-Protection; Matters of Trust; A New Fairness Equation: In It for Ourselves; Marketing to the Individualist Consumer; Chapter 3: Intensified Emotions; Narcissism; Secret Narcissists; Narcissism Goes Shopping; Narcissism and the Critical Customer; The Marketer's Mini Primer on the Psychology of Stress, Anxiety, and Anger; This Is Your Brain on Stress; Edgy and Anxious; Ticked Off and Angry; Why Consumers are More Emotional; Bad News Is Worse Today-Because of How We Get It.
- The Velocity of Change Makes the World Even More UnpredictableThere Is Such a Thing as Too Much Choice; The Self-Esteem Movement Has Raised Our Expectations; Our Happiness Expectations Are Making Us Unhappy; What the Emotional Consumer Wants; The Allure of the Bargain; The Problem with Traditional Marketing Research; Retail Therapy; The Consumer Call for Change; Part 2: Strategies to Connect with Today's New Consumer; Chapter 4: Technovation; The Path to Purchase Is Paved with Technology; The Technovation Advantage; Big Box Apps; Smartphone and Tablet Assistance; Mobile Checkout.
- Virtual StoresBig Data and Technovation; Integrated Shopping: Tear Down Those Walls; The Future of Beauty; Chapter 5: The Real Deal; Using Psychology to Build Consumer Trust; The Rub-Off; Humanizing; Consistency and the Word on Words; Anchoring; A Brand That Does It All; Authenticity; Scarcity; Community; Chapter 6: Involvement; New-School Marketing; The Four C's of Involvement; Champions; Customization; Crowdsourcing; Contests; Chapter 7: Intensity; Breakthrough Messaging; Talk Like Me; Make It About Me; Surprise Me; Shock Me; Easy Does It; Help Me Multitask; Help Me Keep It Simple.
- ConclusionNotes; Acknowledgments and Gratitude; About the Author; Index; More from Wiley.