Getting a Big Data Job For Dummies.
Hone your analytic talents and become part of the next big thing Getting a Big Data Job For Dummies is the ultimate guide to landing a position in one of the fastest-growing fields in the modern economy. Learn exactly what ""big data"" means, why it's so important across all...
- Title Page; Copyright Page; Contents at a Glance; Table of Contents; Introduction; About This Book; Foolish Assumptions; Icons Used in This Book; Beyond the Book; Where to Go from Here; Part I: Getting a Job in Big Data; Chapter 1: The Big Picture of Big Data Jobs; How We Got Here and Where We're Headed; Why companies care about big data; The future of big data jobs; Exploring Big Data Career Paths; Not everyone is a data scientist; Requirements of big data professionals; Looking at Organizations That Hire Big Data Professionals; Public sector and academia; Commercial organizations.
- Corporate information technologyMarketing departments and business units; Big data firms; Consulting companies; Chapter 2: Seeing Yourself in a Big Data Job; Planning Your Journey into a New Frontier; Finding a Future Career in Big Data; The growth of big data jobs; Predictions for the next several years; Sizing Up Your Skills; Evaluating your aptitude for big data; Doing a self-assessment plan; Finding your gaps; Charting Your Path; When to fill the gaps with education; Filling gaps with experience; Planning your milestones and timeline; Measuring your results.
- Chapter 3: Key Big Data ConceptsThe Four V's of Big Data; Volume; Variety; Veracity; Velocity; Value; Building a Big Data Platform; Looking into Big Data Use Cases; Big data in risk and compliance; Big data in financial services; Big data in healthcare; Big data in government; Big data in retail; Part II: Getting Your Big Data Education; Chapter 4: Roles in Big Data Revealed; Big Data Jobs for Business Analysts; Assessing your interest; Looking at a job posting; Big Data Jobs for Data Scientists; Assessing your interest; Looking at a job posting; Big Data Jobs for Software Developers.
- Assessing your interestLooking at sample job postings; Chapter 5: Foundations of a Big Data Education; What's Your Major? Undergraduate Majors That Fill Big Data Jobs; Math and statistics; Computer science and engineering; Business; Continuing Education and Graduate School; Programs in analytics; PhD programs for big data; Chapter 6: Making Your Own Way (For the Experienced Professional); Learning on Your Own Time; Hitting the books; Online tutorials; Online communities; On-the-job training; Building Your Own Big Data Test Lab; Step 1: Define your goals; Step 2: Take a skills inventory.
- Step 3: Mind the gapStep 4: Acquire knowledge; Step 5: Look back; Chapter 7: Knowing Your Big Data Tools; Database Tools You Need to Know; Relational databases and SQL; NoSQL; Big Data Framework Technologies; The Hadoop framework; Pig; Hive; Spark; Analysis Tools You Should Know; Business analytics or business intelligence tools; Visualization tools; Sentiment analysis tools; Machine learning; Keeping Current with Market Developments; Part III: Finding a Job with the Right Organization; Chapter 8: Life as a Consultant; What Is a Consultant Anyway?; Types of consultants.