The lost soul of the American presidency : the decline into demagoguery and the prospects for renewal / Stephen F. Knott.
Lawrence, Kansas :
University Press of Kansas,
Table of Contents:
- Introduction: The long, declining road
- The founders presidency : Washington, Hamilton, and an office of sober expectations
- The presidency of popular consent : Thomas Jefferson and the "Revolution of 1800"
- Andrew Jackson : "the majority is to govern"
- Abraham Lincoln and the "mobocratic spirit"
- Woodrow Wilson : "to be as big a man as he can"
- FDR and Harry Truman : "give 'em hell"
- Ike and Jack : a study in contrasting presidencies
- The road to degradation
- The apotheosis of the popular presidency : Donald J. Trump
- The prospects for renewal.