From Shtetl to Stardom Jews and Hollywood / Steven J. Ross, editor ; Michael Renov and Vincent Brook, guest editors ; Lisa Ansell, associate editor.
The influence of Jews in American entertainment from the early days of Hollywood to the present has proved an endlessly fascinating and controversial topic, for Jews and non-Jews alike. From Shtetl to Stardom: Jews and Hollywood takes an exciting and innovative approach to this rich and complex mate...
|Other Authors:||, , ,|
Baltimore, Maryland :
|Series:||Jewish role in American life ;
v. 14. |
Book collections on Project MUSE.
|Online Access:||Full text available: |
- Editorial introduction / Michael Renov and Vincent Brook, guest editors
- part 1. Histories
- 1. Still an empire of their own : how Jews remain atop a reinvented Hollywood / Vincent Brook
- 2. The Ben Urwand controversy : exploring the Hollywood-Hitler relationship / Lawrence Baron and Joel Rosenberg, with a Coda by Vincent Brook
- part 2. Case studies
- 3. Dirty Jews : Amy Schumer and other vulgar Jewesses / Shaina Hammerman
- 4. "The woman thing and the Jew thing" : transsexuality, transcomedy, and the legacy of subversive Jewishness in transparent / Joshua Louis Moss
- 5. Eastern-European fatalism in Minnesota : the mournful destinies of A serious man / Howard A. Rodman
- 6. "If Jewish people wrote all the songs" : the anti-folklore of Allan Sherman / Jeffrey Shandler
- part 3. Up-close and personal
- 7. Comedy and corned beef : the genesis of the sitcom writing room / David Isaacs
- 8. The faemmle business : Laemmle Theaters, Los Angeles, and the moviegoing experience
- an interview with Bob and Greg Laemmle / Ross Melnick
- 9. An outsider's view of sixties America : Matthew Weiner talks with Michael Renov about the Jews of Mad men / Michael Renov.