Diversity and triumphs of navigating the terrain of academe : international perspectives / edited by Raphael Heaggans, Henry T. Frierson.
This volume is written as a treatise to dismantle the powers of discriminatory incubuses that have haunted institutions of higher learning, one narrative at a time.
Bingley, UK :
Emerald Publishing Limited,
|Series:||Diversity in higher education ;
v. 23. |
- Front Cover; Diversity and Triumphs of Navigating the Terrain of Academe: International Perspectives; Copyright Page; Contents; List of Tables and Figures; About the Authors; Introduction The Great Gulf Between Our Progress Yesterday and Our Survival Tomorrow: Swimming in the Academe Ocean; Microaggressions: Microassaults, Microinsults, and Microinvalidation; References; Talk Is Cheap: The Prospects and Problems with Campus Conversations on Race; Introduction; Considering the Spectrum of Attitudes and Responses in Racial and Ethnic Dialogue.
- Confronting Indifference in Racial and Ethnic DialogueCritical Dialogues with Empathy and Advocacy; Conclusion; Notes; References; Navigating Through PhD Programs: Experiences of Ghanaian PhD Graduates from Universities Across the Globe; Introduction; Methodology; Findings and Discussion; Factors that Motivated PhD Graduates to Pursue their Programs; Challenges that Confronted PhD Graduates in Pursuance of their PhD Programs; Cutting off Social Ties; Financial Constraints; Difficulty in Managing Time; Language and Cultural Differences; Difficulty in Getting Available Materials on the Study.
- Proposal and Thesis DefenseCommuting from One Place to Another; Effects of the Challenges Encountered by the PhD Students; Loss of Social Capital; Health and Life Risks; Delay in Making Progress; Conclusion; Recommendation; References; Walk Steady, Keep Going: Navigational Moves of Empowerment, Resistance, and Sustenance in the Academy; Introduction; Story Telling Grounded in My Roots; Theoretical Framing
- Critical Race Theory; Navigational Moves of Empowerment, Resistance, and Sustenance; Decolonizing Education
- Finding My Footing and Walking Steady; Spirituality; Self-care.
- Developing a Supportive NetworkConclusion; References; Progressing Culturally Responsive Assessment for Higher Education Institutions; Introduction; Background and Rationale; Key Building Blocks of Culturally Responsive Assessment; Definition of Culture; Definition for Culturally Responsive Assessment; Fairness in Assessment; Validity and Culture; Language Matters; Dimensions of Cultural Difference; Identified Cultural Dimensions; Faculty as Researchers of Students; Researching the Self; Criteria for Culturally Responsive Assessment; Assessment Modes with Potential to be Culturally Fair.
- Exercise in Designing Culturally Responsive AssessmentPilot Study; Discussion and Conclusion; Note; References; Navigating the Politics of the Academe; Introduction; Anticolonial; Zuhra Abawi; Zachary Njagi Ndwiga; Njoki Wane; The Purpose of University Education; Discussion; Precarious Labor; Conclusion; References; Negotiating University Teaching in Canada using Critical Race Theory: Having to Continually Prove Oneself in Academia; Introduction; Defining "Racialization"; Problematizing Race; Critical Race Theory; Teaching in Higher Education; Teaching Difficult Issues.