Creating competitive advantage : how to be strategically ahead in changing markets / Kevin Uphill.
"Today, the economic environment is global, highly sophisticated, and in continuous flux. Thus, the challenge for business leaders is to stay ahead of market flow and change, in order to gain competitive advantage. Creating Competitive Advantage explores why this pioneering can be the safest an...
London, United Kingdom ; Philadelphia, PA :
Kogan Page Limited,
- Preface; 01 Creating competitive advantage; Introduction; The 'ahead' advantage; Leadership not management; The line of probability; Trends and big data; Strategic planning and scenarios; Elementary decisions; Changing the game; Adaptive organizations; Business by design; Decisive action; The advantage sum; References; 02 Being ahead; Introduction; The benefits of being ahead; Ahead in the right way ; The zeitgeist; Strategic future thinking; Why being 'first' counts; Customers' expectations; Chapter summary and questions; References; 03 Leadership not management; Introduction.
- The leadership equationLeadership versus management; Outlooks and roles; Time for advantage; Working upstream; Open-mindedness and outlook; Creativity; Chapter summary and questions; References; 04 The line of probability; Introduction; Anticipation; Scanning; The environment; Mapping the line of probability; Joining the dots; Seeing from all directions; Mapping parallel sectors; Competitor probabilities and scanning; Research resource; Chapter summary and questions; References; 05 Trends, systems and big data; Introduction; Predictions; The dashboard; Key performance indicators.
- Using the indicators Big data and planning; Trend extrapolation; Creating platforms and data infrastructures; Managing collection privacy; Chapter summary and questions; References; 06 Strategic planning and scenarios; Introduction; Increased visibility; Scenario planning; How to manage scenario planning; The advantage in scenarios; Advantage in the unknowns; Strategic thinking; Stimulation for strategy ; Chapter summary and leader questions; References; 07 Elementary decisions; Introduction; Elementary; Reality; Serendipity ; Risk; Tools; Analytical intuition; Expertise and intuition.
- Workshops and the board decide Hakuna matata
- no problem; The decision process ; Chapter summary and leader questions; References; 08 Changing the game ; Introduction; Game changing; Category and value; Identify weakness, attack and broaden out; Lose in order to gain ; Creating a category; Saying 'no' ; Disruptive innovation; Innovation; The innovation rulebook; Investment in advantage; Chapter summary and leader questions; References; 09 Adaptive organizations; Introduction ; Adaptive; Agile at foundations; The system; Wild side; Cross-specialist agile teams ; Evolution.
- Workplace advantage Changing minds; Training and productivity bias; Chapter summary and leader questions; References; 10 Business by design; Introduction; By design; Alignment; Business design and innovation in combination; Beyond agility; Stand-out models ; Business model types; Advantage through value ; Game-changing models; Mapping your model; Brand alignment; Marketing mix; Chapter summary and questions; References; 11 Decisive action; Introduction; Decisive action; Setting the direction; Tough conversations; Strategy boards; The board's role; Communicating the strategy.