Rethinking documentary : new perspectives, new practices / edited by Thomas Austin and Wilma de Jong.
Because of the huge boom in documentary making there's been a similar growth in the number of courses in documentary studies. This book brings together some of the leading scholars and practitioners in this area to provide a textbook and research tool.
Maidenhead, England ; New York :
McGraw Hill/Open University Press,
- Copyright Page
- Notes on Contributors
- Introduction: Rethinking documentary
- Part 1: Critical Perspectives on Documentary Forms and Concepts
- Chapter 1: Documentary Studies
- Chapter 2: The Question of Evidence, the Power of Rhetoric and Documentary Film
- Chapter 3: First-person Films
- Chapter 4: ' ... To Leave the Confinements of His Humanness'
- Chapter 5: Collective Subjectivity in The Children of Golzow vs. Alienation in 'Western' Interview Documentary
- Chapter 6: Documentary as Critical and Creative Research
- Chapter 7: Reframing Ethnographic Film
- Chapter 8: Transcendental Realism in Documentary
- Chapter 9: Filming 'the Invisible'
- Part II: The Changing Faces of Documentary Production
- Chapter 10: Developing and Producing a Feature Documentary
- Chapter 11: Filmmakers and Their Subjects
- Chapter 12: From Eight-Man Crew to One-Woman Band
- Chapter 13: 'You Want to Know That, This Is Real, This Is What Happened'
- Chapter 14: 'The Idea That There's a ''Truth'' That You Discover Is Like Chasing the End of a Rainbow'
- Chapter 15: Rice N Peas
- Chapter 16: 'The Importance of Memory'
- Part III: Contemporary Documentary
- Chapter 17: Drama-documentary, Ethics and Notions of Performance
- Chapter 18: Mockumentary
- Chapter 19: Documentary Modes of Engagement
- Chapter 20: 'Ask the Fastidious Woman from Surbiton to Hand-wash the Underpants of the Aging Oldham Skinhead ... ' Why not Wife Swap?
- Chapter 21: Simulating the Public Sphere
- Chapter 22: TheWork of Work
- Part IV: Digital and Online Documentaries
- Chapter 23: Documentary Viewing Platforms
- Chapter 24: Online Documentary
- Chapter 25: Public domains
- Chapter 26: Documentary on YouTube