Oprah Winfrey and the glamour of misery : an essay on popular culture / Eva Illouz.
-- Amy B. Jordan, Director of the Media and the Developing Mind Sector, Annenberg Public Policy Center, University of Pennsylvania.
New York :
Columbia University Press,
- Introduction : Oprah Winfrey and the study of culture
- The success of a self-failed woman
- Everyday life as the uncanny : The Oprah Winfrey show as a new cultural genre
- Pain and circuses
- The hypertext of identity
- Suffering and self-help as global forms of identity
- The sources and resources of The Oprah Winfrey show
- Toward an impure critique of popular culture
- Conclusion : ordinary people, extraordinary television.