Toward a science of man : essays in the history of anthropology / editor, Timothy H.H. Thoresen.
The Hague : Chicago :
Mouton ; Distributed in the USA and Canada by Aldine,
Table of Contents:
- Introduction / Jacob Gruber
- Notes on inquiries in anthropology : a bibliographic essay / Don D. Fowler
- The history of ethnographic film / Emilie de Brigard
- Scotland as the model of mankind : Lord Kames' philosophical view of civilization / George W. Stocking, Jr.
- Albert Gallatin and the survival of Enlightenment thought in nineteenth-century American anthropology / Robert E. Bieder
- E. George Squier and the mounds, 1845-1850 / Thomas G. Tax
- Bachofen and the concept of matrilineality / Stephen F. Heltzman
- Modern theoretical views of a Croatian ethnologist of the late nineteenth century (Antun Radić, 1868-1919) / Vitomir Belaj
- The history of physical anthropology in Hungary / János Nemeskéri
- The Magyarization of Hungarian ethnography, 1889-1919 / Michael Sozan
- The rise of social anthropology in India (1774-1972) : a historical appraisal / L.P. Vidyarthi
- Ruth Benedict, anthropologist : the reconciliation of science and humanism / Judith Modell
- Typological realism in A.L. Kroeber's theory of culture / Timothy H.H. Thoresen.