The Highlands : critical resources, treasured landscapes / edited by Richard G. Lathrop Jr.
The Highlands is the first book to examine the natural and cultural landscape of this four-state (New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, and Connecticut) region, showing how it's distinctive and why its conservation is vital. Each chapter is written by a different leading researcher and specialist...
New Brunswick, N.J. :
- Introduction / Richard G. Lathrop Jr
- Bedrock geology of the highlands / Alexander E. Gates and David W. Valentino
- Glaciation and landscape history / Scott D. Stanford
- Major soils of the Highlands / John C.F. Tedrow and Richard K. Shaw
- Groundwater and surface water hydrology / Otto S. Zapecza, Donald E. Rice, and Vincent T. dePaul
- Water resources supply / Daniel J. Van Abs
- Forest history of the Highlands / Emily W.B. Southgate
- Forest ecology / William S.F. Schuster
- Wetlands of the highlands region / Joan G. Ehrenfeld
- An overview of the vascular plants of the highlands and the threats to plant biodiversity. Appendix 9.1: List of twenty-one globally rare, threatened, and endangered plant species reported from Connecticut, New jersey, New York, and Pennsylvania, Appendix 9.2: List of fifty-eight invasive or potentially invasive species known from the Highlands region / Gerry Moore and Steven Glenn
- Wildlife of the highlands / Elizabeth A. Johnson
- Ironworking in the highlands / Theodore W. Kury and Peter O. Wacker
- Agriculture and urban development patterns in the Highlands / Richard G. Lathrop Jr
- Open space and recreation in the Highlands / Daniel Chazin
- Land use planning and policy in the Highlands / Rob Pirani, Thomas A. Gilbert, and Corey Piasecki
- Future vision for the Highlands / Richard G. Lathrop Jr., Mary Tyrell, and Myrna Hall.