Religious practice and democracy in India / Pradeep K Chhibber, University of California, Berkeley and Lokniti, India, with Sandeep Shastri, Jain University, Bengaluru and Lokniti, India.
This book demonstrates the close relationship between religion and democracy in India.
New York :
Cambridge University Press,
Table of Contents:
- 1. Religious practices, social hierarchies, and political representation
- 2. The influence of religious practice
- 3. Social domination: caste and political representation
- 4. Avenues for the connected: civic associations and democracy
- 5. Political institutions and the reproduction of inequalities
- 6. Party competition, ideology, and social divisions
- 7. Conclusion