The life of Anne Damer : portrait of a Regency artist / Jonathan David Gross.
The first biography of Anne Damer since 1908, The Life of Anne Damer: Portrait of a Regency Artist, by Jonathan Gross, draws on previously unpublished letters to explore the life and legacy of England's first significant female sculptor. This biography will interest historians of Georgian, Engl...
- Note on the Text
- Chapter 1: "Peerless Ailesbury"
- Chapter 2: Marriage to John Damer
- Chapter 3: "Witches 'Round the Cauldron"
- Chapter 4: Disaster
- Chapter 5: "Too Strictly Right Ever to be Beloved"
- Chapter 6: The "Widow's Joys"
- Chapter 7: The Sylph and Rehabilitation
- Chapter 8: Damer's Second Trip to Italy
- Chapter 9: Park Place and Hieroglyphic Tales
- Chapter 10: Theatricals at Richmond House
- Chapter 11: Damer's Correspondence with Charles Hotham
- Chapter 12: A Shifting Ménage à Trois
- Chapter 13: Departure for Lisbon
- Chapter 14: Return to England
- Chapter 15: Anne Damer as Sculptor
- Chapter 16: Damer as Sculptor, Attempts at a Brief Catalogue Raisonné
- Chapter 17: Anne Damer and Mary Berry on Literature
- Chapter 18: Damer in Portugal
- Chapter 19: Damer's Return from Lisbon, "A Proselyte to Painting"
- Chapter 20: Damer and Walpole
- Chapter 21: "That Thread That Holds Minds Together"
- Chapter 22: Mary Berry and Charles O'Hara
- Chapter 23: Recovery and Inheritance of Strawberry Hill
- Chapter 24: Belmour and Fashionable Friends
- Chapter 25: Death of Anne Damer's Mother
- Chapter 26: "Infallible Tokens of Affection"
- Chapter 27: Damer and Susan Ferrier's Marriage
- Chapter 28: Anne Damer and India
- Glossary of Principal Names
- About the Author.