Literary knowing in Neoclassical France : from poetics to aesthetics / Ann T. Delehanty.
This book, spanning the years 1650-1730 in France and England, looks primarily at the history of literary criticism during that period in order to show how the rising interest in the sublime pushes literary critics to entirely alter their approach to theorizing works of literature. It provides a new...
Lewisburg : Lanham, Maryland :
Bucknell University Press ; Co-published with the Rowman & Littlefield Publishing Group, Inc.,
|Series:||Transits (Bucknell University)
- Introduction: Mimesis and transcendence
- The heart's knowledge in Pascal
- Divine and human creation in Bouhours
- Boileau and the sublime
- From transcendence to virtue in Rapin
- Dennis's theory of mind
- Dubos and the faculty of sentiment.