The Art of Place in Literature for Children and Young Adults : How Locale Shapes a Story.
This book examines the fairy-tale as a significant influence on place in the literature. The rapid development of children's fiction in the nineteenth century occurred shortly after the widespread circulation of fairy tales. Fairy tales are a particularly concrete, visual, and cinematic form of...
Edwin Mellen Press,
- Introduction: place in children's literature
- Wondrous landscapes: the art of the fairy-tale setting
- The journey through life: the road, the path, the way
- Enclosed spaces: gardens, islands, valleys
- The sylvan landscape: trees, forests, jungles
- The magical built world: castles, palaces, enchanted cities
- Below the surface: caves, mines, underground places
- Liminal places: borderlines and thresholds.