The Cambridge companion to Mario Vargas Llosa edited by Efraín Kristal and John King.
"One of the major novelists in world literature over the last five decades, Mario Vargas Llosa (b. 1936) is also one of Latin America's most engaging public intellectuals, a critic of art and culture, and a playwright of distinction. This Companion's chapters chart the development of...
Cambridge ; New York :
Cambridge University Press,
|Series:||Cambridge companions to literature.
|Online Access:||Literature Online (LION) - US Customers Only|
- Introduction / Efrain Kristal and John King
- Reality, rebellion, and the paradox of power. An overview of Mario Vargas Llosa's literary themes / Alonso Cueto
- The early novels. The time of the hero and The green house / Gerald Martin
- The total novel and the novella. Conversation in the cathedral and the cubs / Efrain Kristal
- Humour and irony. Captain Pantoja and the special service and Aunt Julia and the scriptwriter / Michael Wood
- The historical novel. The war of the end of the world / Juan E. de Castro and Nicholas Birns
- Innocence and corruption. Who killed Palomino Molero? and The storyteller / Fiona Mackintosh
- The political novels. The real life of Alejandro Mayta and Death in the Andes / Deborah Cohn
- The erotic novels. In praise of the stepmother and The notebooks of Don Rigoberto / Roy C. Boland
- The dictator novel The feast of the goat / Clive Griffin
- From utopia to reconciliation. The way to paradise, The bad girl, and 'The dream of the celt' / Efrain Kristal
- The essays / John King
- The memoir / Kelly Austin
- The plays / Evelyn Fishburn
- Film and the novels / Carolina Sitnisky
- The interview / Efrain Kristal and John King with Mario Vargas Llosa .