The Pearl : a failed slave escape on the Potomac / Josephine F. Pacheco.
In 1848 seventy-six slaves from the nation's capital hid aboard the schooner Pearl in an attempt to sail to freedom in Pennsylvania. When bad weather forced them to anchor, the slaves and the ship's crew were captured and returned to Washington. This work ranges from the preparations for e...
Chapel Hill :
University of North Carolina Press,
- Slavery in the nation's capitol
- The escape attempt
- Men of extraordinary courage
- The chaplain and the slaver
- The Edmondsons
- The trials
- Congress confronts slavery
- Congress, runaways, and the slave trade
- The aftermath.